Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm bringing the abandoned Soul back

OK, I'm guilty of being redundant.  No, not me personally (although there's a case for it, I'm sure) but the tagline I've got for this blog - Soul, Psychology & Creating Rooms.  After all, 'soul' is captured in the word 'psychology', where the root world 'psyche' speaks of soul.  But clearly, I didn't think it was enough.

You see, modern psychology has somewhat succeeded in taking the 'psyche', the 'soul', out of itself.  Desperately wanting to 'grow up' into a 'science', it all but abandoned its roots and its raison d'etre . So I think it's important that I do my bit in returning the soul to its rich field of subjective enquiry from which has emerged such grandmasters of insight into the human soul as Freud, William James, James Hillman, Jung and Thomas Moore.


  The Ego and the Id (The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud)  Civilization and Its Discontents   The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
William James : Writings 1902-1910 : The Varieties of Religious Experience / Pragmatism / A Pluralistic Universe / The Meaning of Truth / Some Problems of Philosophy / Essays (Library of America)  The Soul's Code: In Search of Character and Calling

And what better way to do it than to uncover the soul in some of its most intimate dwelling places - the very rooms of our homes and businesses!

Cottage Retreat Dining Room Set by Ashley Furniture

2106 Modern Camel and brown Leather Living Room Furniture 
Hillsdale Tiburon Cali Bedroom Set 

Look, I know it's a tall order I've issued myself, but I'm going to give it my best shot and I hope you'll join this conversation of sorts that I'm seeding here.  Please share your thoughts, reactions, your soul and room designs and anything else that you'd like to.  I know I'll enjoy them whether or not you agree with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Your comment continues the conversation this post started. Let's keep talking.